Friday 4 November 2011

I Heart EPL

I go to the library every day. It's a cheaper thing to do after work than go to the mall or to a coffeeshop, it's warm, and the main branch is located centrally. The branch is spacey and roomy, not stuffy like other libraries which I hate.

Thanks to an aggressive marketing campaign which led the marketing manager to become Avenue magazine's top 40 under 40 years of age, the library is a modern thing.

The library card costs a small fee - but I think that's more of an incentive to get one than to get a free card just because you're a resident and never use it.

Out of all the libraries I've been borrowing from, including the Oakville, Mississauga, Richmond Hill, Markham and Reykjavik libraries, Edmonton's library is the best. Their magazine section is enormous. There are enough copies of not-too-popular books that if one is checked out you can easily get the other one. They've got a good selection of books and DVDs. They even have merchandise with mugs, t-shirts, buttons having catchy library-nerd sayings.

In addition to free writing and book club sessions, which I've seen at other libraries, they have free screenings in a theatre-style theatre (complete with seats in a declining auditorium and not just in a gym with lawnchairs and a projector). These films are popular enough for me to have heard of them and yet rare enough to be a special event to go to. Then there's the free Cree language classes. I have yet to go to one but the fact that they offer it is amazing. The next events I'm going to are the library's book sale and a TEDtalks discussion. The library keeps me busy and keeps me on top of things. I seriously go to the library every day for one reason or another.

No comments: