Monday 16 January 2012

Hamburg

I've left a very nice respectable city called Berlin now and I have gone to Hamburg. I was here about 7.5 years ago so all the memories come rushing back to me. I was eating at a restaurant and I may have even eaten in the same one so many years ago! It's like the real deja vu.

Esepcially since I landed here on a Sunday when most of the shops are closed, I feel that Hamburg is a more slow-paced city and I liked that when compared to the hustle and bustle of Berlin. When I was younger I wanted to live in a 'bustling city' but now I think a mid-sized city like Hamburg suits me better.

Here the names of food are hilarious - there's a brand of salt and pepper called Happy Foodnd then a brand of sugar packets called Lucky Sugar. Such positive food!

Also here there are many automatic things. Off of the subway (U-bahn) is a set of escalators that look like they're out of order until you go near it and then it activates. Hamburg's way of saving electricity costs? Then I went to a museum where artifacts were pretty old yet out in the open. In one room it was as if there were no lights until I stepped closer and spotlights came on. Very individualized service - and all from machines!

Finally there is a ticket for standing on the U-bahn platform, costs 30 cents, valid for one hour. Oh, Germany.

No comments: