Friday 13 January 2012

Use it up, wear it out, make do with or do without

January 4:
Britain is so hot! It makes me think that I've packed too much and too inappropriately for European weather...everybody is wearing tweed jackets. How come I didn't notice this last time I was here? And here I am with this sporty purple jacket of mine. I feel so out of place. Oh, and my all-natural deodorant stopped working like 10 hours ago. And the accent - will everybody stop talking with a British accent already! I'm way too tired to process it (it's 3 AM Toronto time). Then, I remember that I will soon be saying goodbye to English as a native language altogether. In the airport's stores I see McVities, Walkers and Jaffa Cakes and it brings back great memories. The little carts that drive people around in the airport don't make a beeping sound here but rather a sort of techno beat. I'm assuming this is to control the amount of noise but it's not very effective at signalling people to its oncoming presence. I always think the sound is coming out of a radio somewhere but then I turn around and see a cart instead.

--
I must say that the overnight British Airways flight was superb. It's been a long time since I've had a "free" pillow, blanket, lots of seat space, headphones, toothbrush and both dinner and breakfast (although the breakfast consisted only of a 400-calorie muffin, it's better than nothing).

No comments: