Sunday 19 February 2012

KaDeWe

If people in London think Harrod's has a good food hall, then wait until they've seen KaDeWe (actually, I've never been inside Harrod's). It is Germany's largest department store (and their stationery department is amazing). So I am taking the elevator up to the foodhall when I see four huge posters showing Kanada on me. They are the typical tourist posters showing Mounties, blue skies and mountains, canoes, Native Americans. Very stereotypical. Then I reach the landing on the elevator and directly facing me is a whole wall - no, a whole department - of maple syrup and maple syrup-related cookies etc. How exotic.

The food hall is comprised of many sections (a very small bag of twizzlers sells for 2 euros, by the way), but every once in a while I will see a moose dressed up in an RCMP uniform or a model wilderness plane hanging from the ceiling with the maple leaf on it. It kind of freaked me out. So this is how Canada is represented abroad, eh?

No comments: