Thursday 2 February 2012

My opinion

I don't know if there have been any demonstrations since I've come to Athens, but there certainly haven't been big ones. What I do notice though are the police and more than anything this instills a fear in me, a certain uncertainty, and I think that's the point of police presence here. Maybe.

People from other EU countries coming here notice the difference - there are more panhandlers and graffiti on tourist sites. I'm not pointing fingers at anybody but like ancient China, like ancient Egypt and other ancient civilizations, citizens here must respect their history but not dwell on it and then have things as status quo. From the ancient and classical age until now, what has happened (must I say what has declined)?

I don't know enough about contemporary Greek politics to be able to form any theories or answers.

No comments: